Seattle wedding photography pricing can seem all over the place! But when it comes to great photography, Seattle photographers charge pretty standard prices. Compared to cities like San Francisco and LA, wedding photography prices are a tremendous value in Seattle. As a generalization, expect to pay $3500-$10,000 for good photography and an heirloom album from a full-time wedding photographer.
How does wedding photography pricing in Seattle compare?
The average wedding in the US was $33,900 in 2019. Many websites report that typical wedding photographer pricing is closer to $2500 -$3000. Why this may be true in some parts of the country, Seattle median home prices are over $700,000, about 3x the natonal median. So 3x $2500 is $7500. The reality is that Seattle wedding photographer pricing is a great value!
How much should I budget for wedding photography?
Most wedding blogs suggest setting aside 10-20% of your entire budget for photography. $3500-$7000 for your photography budget for great photography. Most of my couples place photography as either #1 or #2 on their priority list.
Wedding photography typically includes:
- A pre-wedding meeting to help set up your wedding day for success.
- An engagement or adventure session at a rad location in Seattle or in the mountains!
- Possibly rehearsal dinner coverage
- Wedding day coverage (typically 7-12 hours)
- A slideshow and proof gallery to view photos after your wedding
- Albums and other tangible goods (these are the really fun part!)
Do we actually need that much photography time at our wedding?
We could spend all day thinking and talking about when the most important pictures will happen. The truth is, unexpected moments are the best! There is no substitute for have a photographer present for the entire day.
Here is a breakdown of a typical wedding day timline
- Getting ready – atleast 1 hour
- First look and portraits of you and your partner – 1 hour
- Wedding party group photos – 30 min-1 hour
- Group family photos – 30 min
- Ceremony coverage – 30 min
- Cocktail hour – 1 hour
- Reception coverage – 2-4 hours
- Buffering time for things running off schedule – 1 hour
Here is a look at what goes on behind the scenes for the photographer
- 2-8 hours drive to and photographing you during your engagement or adventure session.
- 3-5 hours editing, color adjusting and uploading a gallery for you from your adventure session
- 3-5 hours ahead of the wedding planning and coordinating details with you.
- 7-12 hours of actual coverage + driving time and prep time. It’s a long day! All in, it’s typically 18 hours of work on your wedding day.
- 20 or so hours selecting the best photos from the 3-6k images on your wedding day.
- Another 20 or so hours adjusting the color and fine-tuning the look of your finished images.
Their are a few more steps, but this should give you a look behind the curtain at the work that goes into documenting a wedding day!
Frequently asked questions
What is a first look?
A first look is a great opportunity for the couple to see each other and face the excitement and stress of the wedding day together. Why not pick a pretty spot for a first look? This part of the day does not need to be fake or fabricated!
We don’t want stiff and boring family photos, what should we do?
Awesome! Let’s plan on having a bit more time with your immediate family so we can have fun and make that portion of your wedding day less forced.
We want some great pictures together like we see on your website, when should we do those?
I’m down, taking time to photograph you and your love living in the moment and connecting with each other is why i’m a photographer! Let’s talk about finding a time for you two to slip away towardfs sunset when the light is amazing!
Photography is the part of being a photographer that I like best!
Sounds weird, right? In reality, most of the work that goes into photographing a wedding happens before and after the wedding day itself. Also, digital photography has actually created way more work for photographers! At a typical wedding I will shoot between 3k and 6k images! It’s kind of insane! But the good news is, the finished pictures you will get are better than any other time in human history! Read more about this on my detailed pricing page.
My photography rates start at $3950 for Inclusive Wedding Collections, $1695 for Elopements and $1950 for limited A La Carte wedding coverage. Use my contact page to schedule a time to talk in more detail. I’d love to hear about your wedding plans!
More detailed pricing information
There is a detailed cost break down on my pricing page.
Information about wedding albums on this post.
The 10 Best Adventure engagement session locations in Washington.The 15 best places to propose in Seattle.